Advertisement

Silent click Mouse

topic posted Tue, February 28, 2006 - 3:03 PM by  NME
Share/Save/Bookmark
My Fiance has brought it to my attention that she can not sleep at night with me "Clickety, Click, Click, Clicking" all Night. Wether it's work or gamming it is dirving her crazy. So I decided to take action. I went Online and found that there is not a big market for "Silent Mice", "Quiet Clicks" or a "Silent Click Mouse that will not wake up your loved one while you game all night".
What is a man to do?
Well, as with everything I own, I took the mouse appart and tried to see what was making that infernal racket.
I started with an old dell mouse I had laying around.
I took the top off, removed the connector cable from the plug on the board inside.
Then took the board off by removing 2 little screws.
Now to investigate.
At first I thought it was the little lever thing hitting the clickey button thing (Technical I know).
That wasn't it, It had to be the switch.
I pushed the button on top of the switch and low and behold the most anoying CLICK emerged.
What to do?
Looking the switch over I saw that it had a top and bottom section, with a saftey pin (Right tool for the right job, right?) i carefully removed the top from the bottom of the little left click switch.
What I saw was a flat piece of copper, between two connectors in a way that it would hit the top when released holding it in place and when you pushed down it made connection with the circuit all pivoting on the far end. Looking something like this [---, push down=connection, let go=no connection cool.
The piece of copper (Or whatever it is, not really important) was what was making all the noise.

Being a man who is not very useful with anything but tape and fishing line, I decided to put a little piece of tape on the piece of copper between the top connection and the copperlike this [=== with the tape on the top and going all the way down the piece of copper. Then I put the switch back together (Man the little pushey down thing that goes in the switch is a pain in the... fingertip knuckle of the index finger.)

Now when I push on my mouse button all I hear is, nothing.

You would be surprised how dificult it is not hearing the click. It has taken me some time to get use to it. The sacrifices one will endure for love.
Now no more coments on the clickety clickety click click click of the mouse and she sleeps like a baby (Luckily she isn't bothered by the glowing of the Screen, then I would really be in trouble).
posted by:
NME
offline NME
San Antonio
Advertisement
  • Re: Silent click Mouse

Tue, February 28, 2006 - 9:59 PM
    Actually an impressive bit of DIY hacking... the funny part is they probably spent millions researching how to best make "just the right click sound" using that little switch.
    • Unsu...

Re: Silent click Mouse

Wed, March 1, 2006 - 6:28 AM
      Yes there is a lot of work done to get the right click.

Get a cheap mouse - pull the click pads off. Break the little plastic clickers. Put the pads back on.
      VOIALA Silent CIA secret Black HELICOPTERS

Oh no I mean mouse.
  • A
    A
    offline 0

Tue, February 28, 2006 - 10:05 PM
    Nice diy
    (I hate touch pads)

Wed, March 1, 2006 - 7:34 AM
      I am just so impressed with how you wanted to please your sweetie.
      Good for you....or maybe I should say good for her. :)
      • A
        A
        offline 0

Silent Night

Wed, March 1, 2006 - 1:56 PM
        "...how you wanted to please your sweetie."

I can't help wondering (from lessons learned the hard way) - if the best way to please her would be - to go to bed?
        (meant in the "nicest" PG-13 way)
        • Re: Silent Night

Wed, March 1, 2006 - 2:54 PM
          "I can't help wondering (from lessons learned the hard way) - if the best way to please her would be - to go to bed?
          (meant in the "nicest" PG-13 way)"

ding ding ding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
          • Re: Silent Night

Thu, March 2, 2006 - 6:37 PM
            Bwahaha... and, um, word.
            • Unsu...

Re: Silent Night

Sat, March 18, 2006 - 9:03 AM
              or you could've just bought a Thanko Quiet Mouse: www.akibalive.com/archives/000681.html
              • NME
                NME
                offline 3

Re: Silent Night

Wed, April 5, 2006 - 5:57 PM
                It isn't as silent as they make it out to be.
                Lately the only thing that can be heard late at night when working, I work and game at night , she works odd hours that is why we are not in bed together (Meant in the most pg-13 way), is the sliding of the mouse on the table. A little car wax on the table and some masking tape. that's gone toooooo.

Sat, March 18, 2006 - 9:48 AM
    very funny and sweet story

another suggestion - I'm a light sleeper - I run a fan at night when I am sleeping. It does a great job at drowning out background noise (traffic, tv on in the other room). It also mentally sets me up to go to sleep. I hear a fan and start to get sleepy.

Sun, December 7, 2008 - 1:18 AM
    Hi NME,

It's 9:30 on a sunday morning. My girlfriend is sound asleep. I'm clicking away with my now silent mouse, listening to radio on my headset. I eventually used duckttape on the copper clickety thingies in my Trust mouse. Cellotape didn't help. Duckttape gives utter silence but i lost the tactile feedback. So I advice anyone who's planning to try this to get tape that's thicker than cellotape but not as thick as duckttape.

Or maybe the tactile feedback will stay intact if you just put the tape at the tip of the top of the coppery thingy and not across the length of the top. But I'm not opening my mouse up again to check.
  • Bif
    Bif
    offline 0

Tue, November 16, 2010 - 9:26 AM
    Excellent walk through. I stealthed my mouse with only a couple of issues.

First, I found that I needed two layers of scotch tape to quiet the click.
    Second, only the top connection needs tape - tape on the bottom one keeps the mouse click from activating - rendering the mouse button useless.
    Third, use caution with the copper plate. I inadvertently bent the lower, curved portion, and had to reposition it for proper operation.

As posted above, the lack of audible feedback does take some getting used to, but it's almost like you only have to think about clicking it, and it works for you!

Thanks for the post.

Recent topics in "DIY - do it yourself"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Granite counter tops Unsubscribed 10 June 28, 2014
tent zipper repair Åmªzºn¡Kª 22 June 26, 2014
Filling a mail slot Unsubscribed 31 May 18, 2014
sink clogs - why they happen, what are home remedies that work Scintilla Di... 43 May 6, 2014