Advertisement

sand in garbage disposal?

topic posted Wed, December 17, 2008 - 10:32 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
My neice came over for a visit. (Shes 8) and leaned up against what she thought was a wall, but its my tropical fish tank. It knocked it into my kitchen sink and I now have tiny gravel and sand in the disposal. Im trying to figure out a way to remove it without having to take it all a apart. Any ideas?
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: sand in garbage disposal?

Wed, December 17, 2008 - 10:41 AM
    seems a vacuum aught to work. then flush out any little sand remains with ample water...mom used to grind chicken bones and whatnot in the disposal so I'm sure a little sand, if any remains after vacuuming, won't hurt.
    • Unsu...

Re: sand in garbage disposal?

Wed, December 17, 2008 - 11:25 AM
      Yah what Chili said. Get the big chunks out with a vacuum.
      I just shove my hand in the thing but that's really not for the faint of heart.
    • Unsu...

Wed, December 17, 2008 - 11:40 AM
      Ive tried it. I vaccuum out as much as I could and ran the water for a while. The motor just makes a noise like its trying to go but it doesnt move.

Wed, December 17, 2008 - 11:54 AM
        some grit may be stuck between the impeller (the part that rotates) and the bottom of the canister. most disposers come with a wrench that fits into the bottom of the thing and that allows you to turn the motor manually to dislodge stuck stuff. unplug it first, rotate the impeller until it moves properly (you can use an old broom handle into the top to try to force this too if you don't have the allen wrench/hex key), remove the crap you dislodge, then plug it back in and press the reset button. see if that works...let it run for a few minutes with water.
      • Unsu...

Wed, December 17, 2008 - 11:04 PM
        I do what Cliff does and stick my hand in the hole and feel around. I usually cover my hand with a lot of soap, to slide easily into the hole. But don't force your hand in there, if it won't fit.

I just feel for things that shouldn't be in there. And I have gotten the planting soil there, that has the little rocks.

I can move the individual whirly things by hand, and the whole thing by hand. If it gets jammed, the main whole thing, then I use the stick of the plunger.

I work the little whirly things until they come unjammed.

It goes without saying, but I'm saying it anyway, do not turn on the disposal to see if works while your hand is in there.

Ditto for the broom stick or plunger stick.

Sand will probably want to settle too, in the loopy part of the pipes. So you will still want to plunge it very well after you have worked with the disposal.

If it does start to clog up relatively soon, you may need the assistance of someone (or do it yourself) to take off that loopy pipe part and get the sand out. Because NOTHING will dissolve the sand, no cleaners (and they are bad for pipes anyway).

Fri, December 19, 2008 - 1:51 AM
    It really isn't hard to drop a disposal.. That actually is my preference then I can see what is going on as well as manually shuffle it to loosen debris that has landed in the impeller plate. Even if it is hardwired there is enough slack generally to pull it out and bang it on the base of the cabinet top down to know the stuff out.

To do it back the discharge pipe flange out. It is generally just a collar on a pipe. If it is an ISE then there is a ring with loops. Turn it to the right about an 1/8 turn. <there is a wrench for this but if ya don't have it use a 5 mm hex key or a #2 phillips screw driver to torque off the collar> Drop the disposal down and flip it over to shake out the debris. Reverse the procedure to re install. First time expect about 1/2 an hour as ya get good maybe 15 minutes.

I love doing the repairs you are talking about cause I have it down to 10 minutes on a 4 hour minimum I make bank on what folks can very easily do themselves.

When you do apt maintenance you find all sorts of issues with disposals most are easily repaired with dropping the unit down and simply cleaning it out.

BTW if you overload the motor on the bottom is a reset button.. Ya might need it.

JSin

Recent topics in "DIY - do it yourself"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Hot Water Heater Azeeza 1 Today, 6:31 AM
Cutting Tempered Glass Richard 60 October 18, 2014
Home Cleaning and Organization naria 1 October 17, 2014
old hardwood flooring yadda yadda 6 September 25, 2014