Advertisement

wasps in my roof

topic posted Sat, August 25, 2007 - 7:43 AM by  Frau Schmickler
Share/Save/Bookmark
I have noticed wasps, common wasps I believe, swarming out of my wooden roof siding. There seem to be about three entrances. I dont think they have been there long.

Unfortunately they have picked exactly the side where my little girl has two windows open almost all day, so I think they have to go. From the window to the siding is about 2 meters distance, and of course we are in the first floor.. so I wonder what I can do. My tallest ladder will not reach this high, nor do I know for certain what is best to do..

What can you suggest?

Thanks for your help! Jana
posted by:
Frau Schmickler
Switzerland
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: wasps in my roof

Sat, August 25, 2007 - 12:43 PM
    You will need a ladder that gets you up there.
    I believe you can rent them - maybe.

At any rate one of the most effective wasp elimination devises is a vacuum cleaner. Place the nozzle near the opening in the morning and turn it on before sun up. When they come and go they will not come and go they will go go go. Toss the bag when done. Depending on the size of the colony you'll likely need to run it till about noon.

On a vertical wall use a bit of aluminum flashing rolled and bent into shape so as to securely hold the nozzle where you want to have it and screw that to the house. On the ground for in-ground nests I just lay the nozzle near the opening.

There are people who earn a living catching wasps this way they have special little traps that separate the wasps out and then they shove 'em in Dry ice and sell 'em top pharmaceuticals who make antivenin.
    • Re: wasps in my roof

Sat, August 25, 2007 - 1:43 PM
      Oh yikes cliff, I am not good with heights!!

But that sounds like it is the least toxic method..- I'll have to see about a longer ladder.

The three places I noticed wasps disappear into are about a foot apart, not more. Do you suppose that is one and the same nest?

Sun, August 26, 2007 - 12:47 AM
    Leave them alone. Wasp are great hunters of other insects that are harmful to your garden. They seldom sting you unless you disturb their nests. Yellow jackets are a different matter, though. I haven't found a single positive thing they do and they can be quite aggressive.

Sun, August 26, 2007 - 2:35 AM
      You are right brian, but on the first floor (where the air current is stronger) and with two mostly open windows only 2 metres away, the wasps are continuously flying into my little girls bedroom.. and little girls have a habit of freaking out at wasps and bothering them.. so the chances of a sting or several are high.., also some may drop dead in her room and sting because the girls accidentally step or sit on them..

No I really think they have to go.. If they had chosen any other corner of the house it would be a different matter..

Wed, August 29, 2007 - 8:43 AM
        Can you put screens on the windows? Also, they are very easy to catch and release. You take a glass or a jar and place it over the wasp, then slip a piece of paper under it, carry it outside and release the wasp. As far as I know, once a wasp is dead for more than a few minutes, their stingers no longer pump any poison so I doubt if you daughter can be stung by dead wasps. It might also be a good opportunity to help your daughter learn to overcome their fears and help rescue the wasp from being stuck in the room with the glass catch and release method. Just a few ideas, I hope I'm not offending you.

Aloha,

Brian
    • Unsu...

Re: wasps in my roof

Wed, August 29, 2007 - 12:17 PM
      ******Yellow jackets are a different matter, though. I haven't found a single positive thing they do and they can be quite aggressive.*********

They drink beer.

Wed, August 29, 2007 - 7:42 AM
    I used to live in an apartment with a balcony that wasps loved.

After looking through a lot of "natural garden remedy" books I found an effective repellent. Mix half vinegar and half dish washing liquid in a spray bottle and spray the wood where you see them going in and out...but do it at night while they're sleeping. You could probably put it in one of those spray bottles that have a "stream" setting and do it from your daughter's window. You'll probably have to respray after rain.

Good luck.

Wed, August 29, 2007 - 9:53 AM
      AAh witchy: the stream setting! That might be the answer!

I'll try that! Thank you!

Brian: Thank you for your suggestion, no offense taken,- I thought about screens,- but I know my kid, and she is pretty lively, she would undoubtedly see the screen as an invitation to sit on the wondowsill, thinking the screen will hold her..

Also, I have seen good weatherproof screens in Japan, and assume thats what you mean- but here the insect population generally isnt such a nuisance, and those screens are not for sale here. I'd have to use the velcro kind, and they dont last long..especially with kid fingers pulling and pushing at them..

Wed, August 29, 2007 - 5:15 PM
        It sounds like screens aren't very common there. Most windows are screened in the U.S. The screens have light metal frames that fit tightly into the window casing with small latches. If you have difficulty finding a ladder you might want to reconsider building a screen. You could even put the screen in the window and hold it in place by nailing small strips of wood over the screen into the window frame (if it's wood). Perhaps a 1 x 2 somewhere near the inner edge of the ledge would discourage your daughter from leaning against it. Well, maybe it would. ;-)

Recent topics in "DIY - do it yourself"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Cutting Tempered Glass Richard 60 October 18, 2014
Home Cleaning and Organization naria 1 October 17, 2014
old hardwood flooring yadda yadda 6 September 25, 2014
stop draft from fire place Kit Kat 22 September 22, 2014