Advertisement

Natural method to get rid of ticks?

topic posted Fri, September 22, 2006 - 3:51 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
see subject
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Natural method to get rid of ticks?

Fri, September 22, 2006 - 4:00 PM
    Well... The Most Natural method I can think of...

Is to sit behind your dog/cat much like... strike that... EXACTLY like a <insert primate species here> and locate them with your fingers and
    pick the little bastards off. (Eating them is not necessary). Plus, your dog will appreciate the extra 15 minutes of finger massage.

Barring that... I personally haven't found a "natural way" that actually works worth a squirt...

I use different things at different times from a Advantage to a spray.
    Advantage seems to be the least toxic and definately the most expensive.
    • Unsu...

Re: Natural method to get rid of ticks?

Sat, September 23, 2006 - 7:31 PM
      we live in tick country. iffin it wasn't for them it'd be heaven :) i also find that the best way is to TICK PICK our dogs nightly since they live inside with us.. great for bonding with them too. but do NOT pick them off with your fingers. in doing so you will surely mash the innards into the dog as well as risk leaving the ticks head inside the bite to fester. we use small NEEDLE NOSE PLIARS or stats. grab them by the head and yank. it's incredible how attached they get. often they will literally make a snapping sound as they release. the process will sting the dog. but we have learned to show the removed tick to the dog to smell. they QUICKLY learn what you are doing and are grateful. all i have to do is sit down on the floor and my dogs come flop over with thier head in my lap for de-ticking. but the question was ambigious. we also find that ADAMS flea and tick spray works best.it's made from chrisanthemums and smells nice to boot. get the concentrate and mix your own spray. much cheaper that way. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CLOSELY. more is not better in this case and can kill your dog if too potent. but that still begs more answers. the ONLY THING we've found to rid our yard of ticks ( even the high power poisons have little effect) is CHICKENS. a few chickens will rid your yard of ticks. trust me when i say it's the ONLY SOLUTION that truly works. bar none.
      • Unsu...

Sun, September 24, 2006 - 2:50 PM
        i need to be more specific than small longnose pliars. i meant small NEEDLENOSE pliars.

Mon, September 25, 2006 - 10:32 AM
          I have to disagree and this may be for me only .. but... I have tried and use (sometimes) different types of picks tweezers, pliers and implements of destruction and... well IMO I can pick ticks of FAR better and with less damage to the tick and dog than using an implement. The human fingers are just far more dexterous and sensitive. I live in Northern Cali and at one time had about 6 ranch dogs to take care of.

I think one of the most important aspects to picking ticks is to get them quickly and on the first try so they don't reactivley dig in.
          *Note keeping a couple of prep pads of alcohol to clean your hands and the bite.

Tue, September 26, 2006 - 6:16 PM
            I agree, I've never used anything but my fingers. The trick is to grasp the little tick jaws with your finger nails, and don't smash the body as you pull the tick off
            • Unsu...

Sun, October 1, 2006 - 6:43 AM
              something just happened that illustrated the discrepency in our methods.my old dog, who ain't much on being petted, just came and put her head between my hand and the keyboard. this is her way of telling me she has ticks. i felt around and sure enough she had half a dozen. then it dawned on me. she had BOTH KINDS. the BIG tick we refer to as animal ticks. because only animals get them. and REGULAR ticks that infest both animals and humans. they are TINY. much too small to grasp easily with your fingers. some so small as to be impossible to grasp. the ANIMAL ticks are easy to remove by fingers and don't fasten on very well. the tiny ticks are what i was refering to. they are the ones that snap when removed. some people call them CRABS. i have never been able to remove them properly by fingers.

Sun, October 1, 2006 - 1:20 PM
                By "regular ticks" and "crabs" are you referring to this:
                www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/graphi...use.jpg

If so, that's a crab louse (commonly called "crabs") and isn't a tick at all, it's a species of lice.
                • Unsu...

Sun, October 1, 2006 - 2:53 PM
                  yes. do you have a pic of what i refer to as an animal tick ??
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Sun, October 1, 2006 - 8:08 PM
                    Here's a Rocky Mountain Tick
                    www.alanbauer.com/images/Cr...k-Horz.jpg

And two deer ticks (and one wood tick):
                    www.health.state.mn.us/divs/i...ks.html

The differences:
                    Lice have six legs, ticks have eight (but sometimes two are hard to find)
                    Lice are usually smaller than all but baby ticks
                    Lice will lay eggs on their hosts, I don't think ticks do, and given time lice will set up large healthy and annoying colonies on a suitable host that can spread to others.
                    Ticks have much harder exoskeletons
                    Ticks will typically either be crawling around on clothes or the skin (easy to remove) or have their head literally buried in the flesh of their host (very difficult to remove), while lice will often be holding onto their host's hair with their claws (difficult to remove)

Both lice and ticks may bite both humans and animals.

Fri, September 29, 2006 - 12:22 PM
    Not a very efficent way to get them, but a very fun way is to light a match, blow it out and imeadiately touch it to the tick's ass. The match head should still be hot enough to burn the little buggers and they crawl out of the skin right away - then just squish 'em.
  • Unsu...

Fri, September 29, 2006 - 9:12 PM
    To remove ticks, I slowly rub my finger around them in a counterclockwise direction. I do not rub or push on them very hard. Within a very short time, about 30 seconds, the tick lets go on its own. As soon as it lets go, I grab it and burn it in an ash tray. Works every time.
    • Unsu...

Tue, October 3, 2006 - 7:15 PM
      If only there was a way to kill them naturally other than have a flock of geese running around the yard eating them, being mean, and shitting everywhere...
      so I resort to pure poison!
      The dog has Lyme so now all bets are off Frontline and a collar for her, showers for the people.
      I've heard that they have a bad sense of smell so herbs & oils are useless, and the f&#*ers are alive all winter long unless covered by snow. Pray for snow!

Tue, May 4, 2010 - 9:09 AM
    Hello everyone, I'm trying to find out how to get rid of ticks in my yard, it seems like they are everywhere this year. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know. I also have a suggestion for anyone needing a remedy to remove ticks from your dog. If the tick infestation is really bad this works wonders, i read it online last year because i had a stray dog come into my yard and she was loaded with but she wouldn't hold still long enough for me to pick them off. Okay this is what you do, take two whole lemons cut them into quarters, then put them in a pot of water about half way full and let them boil for about 20 minutes, after that let them set over night in the water. The next day find a squirt bottle and poor the lemon water into it and then spray it on the ticks, it won't hurt your dog at all. The next morning the ticks will be all shriveled up and dead they just fall right off of the dog. I honestly didn't think it was going to work but i tried it anyways, and i was shocked, it is wonderful. I hope that i was helpful to someone, and please if anyone has a suggestion for my questiong please let me know, thanks.

Tue, May 4, 2010 - 9:38 AM
      Stopping garden ticks? mow & cut all plants and grasses down to a few inches in height.... because they need tall grasses to do their thing of hopping onto a passing host. They won't hang out in short grass.

Thu, May 6, 2010 - 7:35 PM
    I found this on the Internet today:

"How to Remove a Tick and Prevent Tick Bites
    by Tanya Ryno, Posted Aug 28th 2007 11:00AM

Filed Under: Essential Skills, Know-How, Outdoors

If you spend time outdoors, like I do, or you have pets or kids that go outdoors, you need to be aware of ticks. Ticks are small bloodsucking bugs that burrow into your skin (yes, it's disgusting) and many species transmit diseases. You can get Lyme disease, Ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Tularemia from a tick. Here in New Jersey, Lyme disease seems to be the most prevalent.

Some ticks are so small that they can be difficult to see. Ironically the small ticks are the ones that you should be most aware of. Ticks may get on you if you walk through areas where they live, such as tall grass, leaf litter or shrubs -- even in your own backyard. They also seem to fall from trees.

Think you've been bit by a tick? First things first. Don't panic. Yes, it's true that Lyme disease is the most common tick-borne disease in the United States, but your risk of developing Lyme disease after being bitten by a tick is very low. If you think you're experiencing the symptoms of Lyme disease, visit a doctor as soon as possible.

To remove a tick:
    Locate the tick and remove it as soon as possible because risk of infection increases between 24 to 72 hours after the tick attaches to the skin. You are less likely to get sick from a tick bite if you remove the tick within 24 hours.

1. Soak a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol or use a disposable alcohol wipe. Gently clean the skin around the tick.
    2. Grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible. Pull it straight up and out with tweezers or with fingertips protected by a tissue, cloth or rubber gloves. Do not touch the tick with your bare hands.
    3. Pull gently until the tick lets go. Do not twist or jerk the tick suddenly because this may break off the tick's head or mouth parts. Do not leave any parts of the tick in the skin.
    4. Do not crush or squeeze the tick since its body may be infected with germs. Flush the tick down the toilet.

Do not put a hot match, petroleum jelly or fingernail polish on the tick. This does not cause a tick to come off more easily. Doing this may cause the tick to vomit (throw up) germs into your skin, exactly what you don't want to happen.
    After the tick is removed, clean the area of the bite with rubbing alcohol. Wash your hands with soap and water.

To help protect yourself and your family before getting bit:
    - Use a chemical repellent with DEET, permethrin or picaridin (Use this to the letter, so you don't get future health problems.
    - Make sure kids use product with less than 10% DEET in it.)
    - Wear light-colored protective clothing
    - Tuck pant legs into socks
    - Avoid tick-infested areas
    - Check yourself, your children and your pets daily for ticks and carefully remove any ticks you find"

Sat, May 8, 2010 - 7:15 AM
    If you are talking in your yard the best tick preventer that is natural would be either guinea hens or chickens.. get a flock of either and you wont have any ticks what so ever as they will find them all...

chris

Wed, May 12, 2010 - 7:34 PM
    There are several ways to get rid of ticks and fleas. The safest way is to use a product called diatomaceous earth food grade. There is a web site that will give you all the details on ridding ticks and fleas in a safe and natural way without harming your pets of family.
    wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diat....html

You can also use twenty mule team borax. The ingredient dehydrates the outer shell on both the ticks and fleas.

The best way to kill a tick if you should happen to remove one from you pet is to place them in rubbing alcohol. It is instant death. Also you should use rubbing alcohol to losen the tick's head from your pet before pulling it out.

Recent topics in "DIY - do it yourself"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Home Cleaning and Organization naria 0 September 4, 2014
old hardwood flooring yadda yadda 4 August 31, 2014
Granite counter tops Unsubscribed 10 June 28, 2014
tent zipper repair Åmªzºn¡Kª 22 June 26, 2014