Advertisement

Painting a stove top

topic posted Tue, December 8, 2009 - 9:17 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
My white electric stove top isn't looking so white anymore and I'm interested in repainting it red or black. Any recommendations? I'm thinking the rattle can appliance paint ALA Trading Spaces isn't the best move for looking good and lasting durability. It needs to be able to take the high temps.
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Painting a stove top

Tue, December 8, 2009 - 12:20 PM
    Autozone High temp engine enamel. That stuff is made for engine blocks so im pretty sure it can withstand stove top temps. Its not that expensive and comes in many cool colors ( including Chevy Red ). Get a GRAY scuff pad while your there. NOT RED. and some 600 grit automotive wet or dry sandpaper. may cost you about 15-20 bucks for everything.

1. Clean with degreaser
    2. wet sand flat areas with sandpaper
    3. scuff ALL edges with scuff pad
    4. Put scuff pad in water and dishwashing liquid and scuff again
    5. wipe with wet rag until all soap is gone and let dry
    6. cover all adjacent areas with paper and masking tape
    7. spray 4-5 light coats. let dry 10 mins in between coats.
    8. let paint cure over night before cooking

(If paint runs or you get trash or something in it- let paint dry for about an hour or two, wrap sand paper around a paint stir stick and wetsand as flat as possible until blemish is gone... dry and continue painting.)

Thu, December 10, 2009 - 4:50 PM
      I think the above advice is pretty good but if the stove top is a hard baked enamel you may have problems getting the new coating to last.
      • Unsu...

Re: Painting a stove top

Fri, December 11, 2009 - 6:46 AM
        That's what I was thinking.

Paint simply won't take the abuse of a stove top.

It's not just the heat it's the lipids that eat through pretty much everything, the food acids, the bases, the constant abrasion.

Even a two part catalyzing coating won't stand up to such an environment.

If it really matters take the top off and send it to a little applied coatings house that does Vitreous enamel and see if they can re-enamel it.
        The kind of enamel that is put on to stoves cookware and cast iron bat tubs is glass coating fired on metal at temperatures that melt the glass cause it to flow out and bond to the metal. another industry name for it is Vitreous enamel.

The baked enamel you can get from a powder coating house is merely an epoxy that reacts to heat, relatively low heat at that.
        It will not stand up on a stove top.

Fri, December 11, 2009 - 10:28 AM
    only one way to insure a tough enough surface for a cook top is to take it to a porcelain refinisher. i've tried several methods and the projects started out looking great, but with the heat and wear and tear soon became scratched and chipped - worse looking than the original state. the best one i came up with was a sandblasted surface then epoxy painted and cured in the hot Texas sun for two days. it lasted over a year.

Sat, December 12, 2009 - 4:31 PM
      If you're going as far as the above poster recommends, you should actually be recycling the stovetop and buying a new one. Or a new stove.

you could "DIY" it by doing the removal/hauling yourself :P
      • Unsu...

Mon, December 14, 2009 - 6:45 PM
        The stove works great and is in otherwise excellent condition. It just has a big chip in the white porcelain in the front and brown burn stains around two burners that won't come out. I'm definitely not buying a new top or stove over a cosmetic issue, I'm weighing my options for DIY refinishing. Although I may explore getting the porcelain redone too.

Tue, December 15, 2009 - 5:20 PM
          As far as that chip goes, I've had success with DURO Porcelain Repair by Loctite. About 3$/tube, comes in white. You build up layers of white liquid that dry real durable to fill in the chip. The brown stains? I guess you've tried rubbing like crazy with Ajax water/powder paste? Not much for it but to do powdercote or farm out to porcelain refinisher if that doesn't get it.

I used to make extra money some years back, by getting thriftshop gas ranges. Old stylish 1950s models, for about $50, then reconditioning them for folks looking for period pieces fitting in old home remodels ,... or for gourmets prefering gas burners to electric. And have used the Duro for chip repair on different enameled appliances or porcelain. It holds up and makes the piece look nice. One time a friend found a 1920s gas range out on the street during neighborhood cleanup. He dropped it off at my place for nothing. I fixed it up and got hundreds for it from a lady who loved the look of an antique kitchen. Gas-cooked food is way superior to the electric version.
      • Unsu...

Tue, December 15, 2009 - 7:19 AM
        ***********If you're going as far as the above poster recommends, you should actually be recycling the stovetop and buying a new one. Or a new stove.************

Maybe not.

There's lots of reasons to want to keep an older stove.

Heat output is probably the chiefest.

New stove tops don't produce the same amount of heat that the 1950's stoves did.
        In the interest of being our parents, the marketing people have consulted their lawyers who told them that a stove that doesn't get hot won't start so many fires - so the companies making stoves and toasters have neutered their products so they don't actually get hot..

Makes for really lousy food.

Believe me I know I spent almost ten grand just to step around all that meddling for my stove.
        you gotta pay a lot to get the same kind of heat output that you used to be able to get on a $150.00 Caloric brand gas stove from the 1950s.

Things have come to a sad sad state of affairs.

I recently bought a toaster. Paid $300.00 for it. Plugged my new edifice to excessive spending in, inserted some of my precious home made sourdough bread, and VIOLA~!!! nothing - nada - zip.
        The dammed thing just refused to get hot. The heating elements wouldn't get red. IT was a total fizz.

So I took it back and got another.
        Same result.
        So I took that back and got a different kind of toaster not one that was assembles by hand by some English guy -
        Same result. A couple of the elements looked like they might have had a dream about getting red when they were children but have since abandoned their youthful dreams for the faded obscurity of being merely warm.

Then I got curious and started asking around.

It appears that everybody who has purchased a toaster in the last year or so has this problem.
        The thirty dollar toaster sucks just as bad as the three hundred dollar toaster.

Stoves are the same.

They want us to be safe. They don't want us to burn our fingers.
        We are being protected from ourselves.

So maybe rehabbing the old stove is a better idea.
        Maybe it's old enough that it harks from that bright golden sunlit era when people were responsible for their own actions and held themselves accountable instead of someone else.

One can hope anyway.

Tue, December 15, 2009 - 4:54 PM
          You spent $300.00 on a TOASTER !?!?!? what kind of gas mileage does it get ? Does it double as a room heater ? Does it have a insertion point for those cold, " lonely" nights ? Do you get credit for unused toast on the national power grid ? Or was the sales girl just that "hot" ?
          Don't get me started on spending $10,000 on your old stove ! ;-)
          • Unsu...

Mon, December 21, 2009 - 8:39 AM
            *********You spent $300.00 on a TOASTER !?!?!?*************

Yah nukin futz huh

******** what kind of gas mileage does it get ?***********

I'm sure the instructions said it made gasoline from thin air.

************* Does it double as a room heater ?************

I was hoping for a nuclear co-generatin power plant.

**********Does it have a insertion point for those cold, " lonely" nights ? Do you get credit for unused toast on the national power grid ? Or was the sales girl just that "hot" ?**********

Sadly, none of the above.

***********Don't get me started on spending $10,000 on your old stove ! ;-) ************

New Stove, New one. And that was just the range top. The ovens are another story altogether.

But I have a defense:

~ ~ ~ ~ Give me a minute ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sun, December 20, 2009 - 10:33 PM
          I love the toaster story, same thing happened to me. I returned an $80 toaster six months after buying it because an element burned out, and it sucked anyways.

the next day I got a four-slotter at a yard sale for a buck ! Still cranking out good toast 5 years later.

Question: Where did we learn that her electric stove is an "oldie but goodie" ? My point still stands unless this thing is some kind of hoover dam. Maybe shop for a good condition used stove? I'm just saying that removing your cooktop and sending it in to a shop sounds like turd polishing to me, and expensive.

I'm also pretty leery about DIYing a coat of any kind on this stove. I just stripped a bathtub that was "re-enameled" and had begun chipping. days of work later, it looks all dinged up (which is why they refinished it) but at least there wasn't any more paint chips in the bath water. I don't want you in a position where you do this and wish you didn't.

Recent topics in "DIY - do it yourself"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Granite counter tops Unsubscribed 10 June 28, 2014
tent zipper repair Åmªzºn¡Kª 22 June 26, 2014
Filling a mail slot Unsubscribed 31 May 18, 2014
sink clogs - why they happen, what are home remedies that work Scintilla Di... 43 May 6, 2014