Advertisement

Fixing A Bent Ring?

topic posted Sun, April 24, 2011 - 6:29 PM by  Azeeza
Share/Save/Bookmark
Does anyone know the technique to straighening a bent ring?

I'm getting a jeweler's mandrel and a small watch hammer to repair the rings, but can anyone give me tips on how to go about fixing the flatened parts? I know to go easy with the tapping, but any other guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Azeeza

PS I took a ring into a jeweler one time and the employee said it was an easy fix and she brought out the mandrel and hammer, but I didn't pay attention to how she fixed the ring.
posted by:
Azeeza
Advertisement
  • Re: Fixing A Bent Ring?

Sun, April 24, 2011 - 7:20 PM
    you hit the high spots on either side of the flat spot. Don't over work it though, it will make it larger, the more you hit it.
  • rik
    rik
    offline 0

Re: Fixing A Bent Ring?

Sun, April 24, 2011 - 7:34 PM
    ya,..often the jeweler uses a soft leather hammer,so the hard force is on the inside with the mandrel and the outside isn't dented by a hard surface(hammer).

Sun, April 24, 2011 - 8:34 PM
    Uh oh, a leather hammer? I bought a metal one. Can I cover the head with a piece of leather and have it work the same as the leather hammer?

Also, since the mandrel is cone shaped, as I tap the top of the ring, is the bottom, closer to the surface, the part being repaired and not the top part the I am tapping?

Curious,

Azeeza

Mon, April 25, 2011 - 7:47 AM
      You Can put 4-5 layers of masking tape on the hammer. The mandrel is tapered because it is also used to increase the ring size. The ring has to be pushed tight up the mandrel when hammering on the high spots on either side of the flat spots. This will increase ring size, so stop as soon as it becomes acceptably round.
  • Unsu...

Re: Fixing A Bent Ring?

Mon, April 25, 2011 - 6:25 AM
    She put it on the tapered mandrel and the soft metal re-bent into shape maybe with a little help from a rubber tipped mallet

Mon, April 25, 2011 - 4:30 PM
    Sometimes in my barterings I'll get a ring, albeit a messd up ring in trade. The ring can be ovaled or taco-ed out, or stove in on one side. I'll use a steel rod or a socketwrench handle or a solid hard metal rod as an anvil, and I'll use a small-head tack hammer on it for straightening, If I wanted to enlarge the ring I'd use a tapered mandrel... but I'm not planning to go into jewelry making bigtime enough to invest in specialized equipment. From my auto body repair experience, I've developed a delicate touch and so I won't go smacking on it too hard as to deform it. To hammer it round, you tap tap on those areas that are out of round.
    .... and so far I've had pretty acceptable results, being able to trade the fixed jewelries onwards.

Yes you could epoxy a cowhide disc onto the hammer face... or employ a brass hammer head -- both designed to not impact softer gold or silver... but the light touch works best.
    When I've has a precious metals piece scarred with scratches or nicks, I've been able to utilize a fine jewler's file from my set, and emery paper will usually smooth things out.

Mon, April 25, 2011 - 5:39 PM
    Thank you so much.

I think I messed up. I have a tapered mandrel and a steel head jewler's watch hammer. Both incorrect for making a circle out of a flattened ended circle of 12K overlay lewelry.

Hmm... I really don't want to change the size of the ring, but I'd like to make it a circle again. I could go easy, but I'm afraid I'll leave one end of the ring bigger than the other end.

What to do, what to do... I really don't want to spend any more money on tools. These tools were to be used for a lifetime of fixing flat spots in jewelry.

Sigh,

Azeeza

PS The gal at the jewelry store used a big hammer, I don't recall what kind it was and a tapered mandrel. She must have tapped very lightly.

Mon, April 25, 2011 - 8:33 PM
      .... thing to do is dive in and take your chances. You'll be surprised how good it might come out.

Another indispensable piece for home DIY-ing is a good-sized cheap 6"-jaw table vise - not just for little jobs but for fixups in general. And that's for holding onto the work whilst you work on it, like for holding the ring straightening rod while you loosely fit the ring on it to go tapping it.

Wed, April 27, 2011 - 6:39 AM
    My tapered mandrel arrived yesterday and I used the back part of a pair of plastic handled scissors to lightly tap the flattened ring on the mandrel and it WORKED!!! My small jeweler's hammer hasn't arrived yet, so I might try it out, just to see if I can get a better looking circle on the ring. The jewelry isn't perfect, but so much better that before!

Thanks!!!!

Azeeza

Recent topics in "DIY - do it yourself"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Cutting Tempered Glass Richard 60 October 18, 2014
Home Cleaning and Organization naria 1 October 17, 2014
old hardwood flooring yadda yadda 6 September 25, 2014
stop draft from fire place Kit Kat 22 September 22, 2014