Advertisement

Altering Jeans

topic posted Wed, November 18, 2009 - 8:57 AM by  Azeeza
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hi Everyone:

I have a bit of a dilema here. I lost a lot of weight and I would like to alter some very nice jeans that I have because I like them and they cost a lot of money.

My problem is I need to take them in the waist, hips and thighs. Is there any way to do this?

I've searched the Internet and I've found advice about waistlines and thighs, but not hips. I think because the rivets get in the way on the pockets on the side seam, there is no way.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Azeeza
posted by:
Azeeza
Advertisement
  • Re: Altering Jeans

Wed, November 18, 2009 - 10:03 AM
    First you need to get a “Home Gene Slicing Kit” and then . . ah . . . oh, wrong type of genes.

I think that if you are taking in more than “just a bit” you are going to have pocket problems. You will need to take in fabric at both side seams and the back. Depending on how much you are taking in you might also need to change the pocket size.

Oh course you could make them "Art Jeans" and just take in the side seams or just the back and let the pockets end up where they do.

Wed, November 18, 2009 - 2:21 PM
    Out of the above posts only one is really useful! Come on here :-)

Upon searching the net in the wee hours of the morn, I came across a man asking for the same advice. Everyone called him "gay" for asking such a question! And a "queer bait" to boot!

The jeans I own are full of "bling" and I want to keep them because they've been discontinued and aren't being manufactured any more. I guess they are "last season's" fashion. I'm dreading the skinny skinny legged jeans that are "in" now.

Oh, by the by, I have the "gene splicing" thingamig and it's pretty worthless. I was able to shorten the hems of the legs of the jeans better without it than with it.

One more question comes to mind, since I've lost the weight, I also need to make another couple of holes in my belts. I bought new belts and the small is too small and the mediums are too big. I have to make more holes in them. Any advice about that? The belts are real leather and mock leather.

I'm having difficulty giving up my old self I guess.

Thanks in advance,

Azeeza

• Unsu...

Re: Altering Jeans

Wed, November 18, 2009 - 3:24 PM
      *********eryone called him "gay" for asking such a question! And a "queer bait" to boot! **********

GEEBUS

When I was a kid I did all my own clothing repair work.
      People can be so dammed small.

And then there's the thing about calling some one a homosexual - - as if that is an insult.
      I mean you might as well accuse some one of liking the taste of carrots instead of peas for all it matters.

The insult is really in the cruel intentions. I never quite get it when people are cruel to each other for no reason at all.

Thu, November 19, 2009 - 10:43 AM

how are peas similar to vaginas?

sorry, couldn't resist :-)
        • Unsu...

Fri, November 20, 2009 - 7:56 AM
          ************how are peas similar to vaginas? ************

Hmmm interesting epistemological question

The grouping A (vaginas & penises) is like the grouping B (peas & carrots)

In that each group A and B represents things that bear similar connecting elements:

Group A (vaginas and penises) are both bodily components, can be used for excreting wastes, can be used for pleasure, can be used for reproduction and bear sufficiently differing characteristics that one each appeals to differents sorts of people fort pretty much exactly the same reasons.

Group B (peas and carrots) are vegetables, are foods, contain roughage, have color, and have flavors and textures that cause them to appeal to different sorts of people for nearly identical reasons.

There.
          Quiz on Monday.

Wed, November 18, 2009 - 4:00 PM
      Poor mans, ( oops, i mean persons) leather punch. A red hot nail matching the hole size, and a pair of pliers. Loop the belt over a door knob, and pull it tight from the other end, allowing you to push the hot nail cleanly through.

Wed, November 18, 2009 - 4:56 PM
    Ah, thank you Dan! What a terrific idea!

Azeeza
    • Unsu...

Thu, November 19, 2009 - 7:41 AM
      Careful tho. That hot nail will tend to dance around just a scosh before it sinks in.
      So ya gotta have a good grip on it with the pliers

Thu, November 19, 2009 - 11:23 AM
        You can just hammer a nice cool nail through the belt, too.

Thu, November 19, 2009 - 1:32 PM
          You can just hammer a nice cool nail through the belt, too. <<

You can, but that only spreads the leather apart, and the hole closes up, then you can't see it, and it's hard to find.
          A hot nail burns a hole, and it stays the size of the nail.

Thu, November 19, 2009 - 2:30 PM
    Oh, and regarding the jeans, I'll do the inseam, the waistline and add darts near the back pockets and front pocket.

That should work, don't cha think??? Just like the information I've found searching the net about altering jeans.

I think that's about the best I can do. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress

:-P

Azeeza

Thu, November 19, 2009 - 6:11 PM
      Jeans hip pockets are patch pockets. Remove the pockets before the tailoring, then return them intact when it's done. Rivets may need be a necessary casualty of the process - Inseam and back central seam may not contain rivets so won't be an issue. Existing designer embroidery and deco bling will need be a secondary consideration to getting a correct fit.

I've learnt to do sewing, and a very precise kind of sewing where you count stitches, during my ten years of skydiving. It was pretty expensive to have a pro rigger make parachute mends.

I believe that sewing, tailoring, clothes-making is not gender-specific. My uncle was an old-world tailor. For me, working on my sew machine to replace a zip on a rucksack, or patching a tarpaulin, or hemming a new pair of pants, or replacing missing buttons, carries no stigma. I take pride in being independent, self-sufficient and resourceful.

Thu, November 19, 2009 - 6:15 PM
        A $2 leather punch is the way to go. I keep one for just that purpose due my fluctuating weight.
        Swiss knife awls, or hot nails or the like will leave a ragged rugged unsightly hole. Unless you're on expedition, get the right tools for your home shop.

Recent topics in "DIY - do it yourself"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Getting label glue off glass? Unsubscribed 61 April 10, 2014
Candle wax removal Dick 1 March 24, 2014
Biker Dating Site online For Single Bikers Unsubscribed 0 February 18, 2014
sink clogs - why they happen, what are home remedies that work Scintilla Di... 42 February 11, 2014