Advertisement

Best whole house humidifier? (gas furnace and well water)

topic posted Thu, December 10, 2009 - 6:35 AM by  Megan
Share/Save/Bookmark
We're looking at whole-house humidifier options. We have a very old gas furnace that's surprisingly still running quite efficiently, so we probably won't replace it until that changes.

From the research I've done, it seems that bypass systems like Aprilaire use the least power and do okay. Energy efficiency is a big factor for us. We have hard well water, so that's another consideration. I'm assuming that means we'll need to be diligent with vinegar cleaning of parts a few times per year. We don't need perfection- just to make the air a bit moister for our comfort and for a cat with respiratory issues.

Experience? Opinions?

Thanks in advance.
Megan
posted by:
Megan
Wisconsin
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

The AprilAire is what I use.

I have a well too. My water is hard and acidic so I have a two stage water treatment system.
    An Acid Neutralizer stage and a De-ionization Flter.

It's essentially just two big bubbles of heavy duty molded polymer one holds a charge of Zeolite the other ( upper one) holds a rechargeable load of either Calcium-Manganese or Limestone. I prefer the limestone as the Cal Mag made the water too soapy
    This neutralizes the acidity in the water.
    I charge it with about $40 of limestone every year or so.

The Zeolite needs to be recharged on an ionic level which uses a Salt Tank. It runs water into the salt tank then runs the salt water back through the Zeolite. This alters the molecular charge in the zeolite causing it to release the crap it's been filtering out of the water.
    The zeolite releases the crap it gets washed away to the waste outlet and then rinses the salinity away too. There is some residual salinity which I address by unplugging the thing.
    The zeolite is a de-ionizing filter that gets sub micron particulate out of the water. It produces really pure water.

I unplug it so that the zeolite gets really loaded up over a month or so. Then I plug it in and let it run and recharge for a week and unplug it again. This ( I like to think) reduces the amount of residual salinity in my water.
    I haven't tried to test it yet but I sort of think that the sale doesn't get 100% rinsed away and I prefer not tpo be drinking it all the time.
    If I don't unplug it the thing re charges every day.

I suppose I could test my theory by letting it run and boiling a few gallons of water away to see what'sleft.
    That's tell me with some good precision how much salt is a ctually left in the water.

Recent topics in "DIY - do it yourself"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Cutting Tempered Glass Richard 60 October 18, 2014
Home Cleaning and Organization naria 1 October 17, 2014
old hardwood flooring yadda yadda 6 September 25, 2014
stop draft from fire place Kit Kat 22 September 22, 2014