Advertisement

Mold & Mildew in car

topic posted Mon, June 9, 2008 - 5:57 PM by  Mickey
Share/Save/Bookmark
My gf had a leak in her car, which has been fixed. But there is a definite mold/mildew smell in the car now, and with the Atlanta heat, the vehicle seems to be turning into a big petri dish. She plans on getting the interior shampooed, and I suggested leaving the car in the sunshine with the windows open. What else can she do to be rid of the mold/mildew problem?
posted by:
Mickey
Advertisement
  • Re: Mold & Mildew in car

    Mon, June 9, 2008 - 8:09 PM
    They sell a few products at PETCO that are 'enzymatic' or something, for deodorizing. these products will help, but if there is spores and mold up in the foam and the areas that you can't reach (the "ducting", etc.), you are going to have a repeat offense. Make sure you are taking the car to a good place for the shampooing; use Angie's list or Yelp.com to find a good guy to do this work, because some are proficient in mold treatments.

    Also read other threads in this tribe and others: I am sure I've seen this topic before.
  • Re: Mold & Mildew in car

    Mon, June 9, 2008 - 8:46 PM
    well the problem is the mold spores get into the pad under the carpet and less often into the seats. The carpet is the worst part because it tends to be compressed cotton rag. Newer vehicles have closed cell foam for seat packing material. You may have to replace the backer foam of the carpet or buy a new carpet kit.

    Dilute bleach about 1 pt bleach to 10 parts water can also kill it but will discolor the carpet and may or may not penetrate well enough to kill the mold and mildew spores

    Good luck

    JSIn
  • Unsu...
     

    Re: Mold & Mildew in car

    Tue, June 10, 2008 - 9:22 AM
    I'd pull all the place mats and clean ( and dry) them first maybe that'll do the trick

    This post leads me to a question:

    How much would you pay for a container of a product that was (A) utterly harmless ( you can eat it), (B) odorless and colorless, (C) completely effective at killing mold and and preventing it's return ( and guaranteed), and (D) one bottle can treat a whole car easily~??

    $5.00 $10.00 $15.00 $20.00
    How much?

    Stinky car is a nasty problem. If you leave the windows open to let the stink out or to dry the car out eventually and then the rain makes it worse. You leave the windows closed and the humidity and heat makes it worse.
    You wash it with something like bleach and the relief is only temporary cause when the bleach evaporates the mold sporrs return carried on the air and fond the moist carpet.
    • Re: Mold & Mildew in car

      Tue, June 10, 2008 - 10:09 PM
      I'd part with some cash for a product like that.

      We're airing it out and baking it in the sun with open windows. I may give it a lysol treatment at some point after she gets it all shampooed and dried out.
      • Re: Mold & Mildew in car

        Wed, June 11, 2008 - 6:52 AM
        Pull the large rubber plugs out of the floor board from underneith. They are in the lowest section of the floor, and are 2-3 inch.
        Putting something between the floor and carpet to keep them seperated alowing air flow will also help.
        You can wedge them in from the bottem through the now exposed drain holes. You can also take the kick trim that holds down the carpet at the door openings off, and put spacers in there. lift 2-3 ". Folded cardboard , on edge works well.
        I wouldn't use bleach. Unless you rinse it out, it will attack the fiber and continue to break it down.
        Cliff , sounds like you're about to sell us something !
        • Unsu...
           

          Re: Mold & Mildew in car

          Wed, June 11, 2008 - 8:36 AM
          ****************Cliff , sounds like you're about to sell us something !*****************

          Only $9.99-99-99 + S&H
          Mail your check or MO to the address on the back of the bear.

          Call now~!!

          No sales pitch. But I do wonder what people would think of as a reasonable sum for such a product.
          • Re: Mold & Mildew in car

            Wed, June 11, 2008 - 11:44 AM
            There's an address on the back of the bear? Is there a barcode back there, too?
            • Re: Mold & Mildew in car

              Wed, June 11, 2008 - 2:02 PM
              yeah its a 'BEAR'code


              yuck yuck yuck

              chris
              • Re: Mold & Mildew in car

                Thu, June 12, 2008 - 8:00 AM
                a BEAR code....hee hee hee

                i love puns. they give me pause and then make me laugh.


                anyhow, RE: the mold etc....i'm with the suggestions to get under the carpet, and if you can pull off any interior panels to spray disinfectant, even better. i once tore out the entire interior of my car (a 68 VW, so probably less of a job than you're facing) used marine grade sealant on all the floorboards and put new insulation down before installing the new carpet kit. took care of the stinky car problem (there was a leak in the dash that took persistence to fix)
                Trapped moisture will perpetuate the problem, so if you've solved where the moisture is coming in, get it dried out and kill any mold spores.
                • Re: Mold & Mildew in car

                  Wed, June 18, 2008 - 4:02 AM
                  Theives oil!

                  theives oil was used during the plague--- theives used to put it on bandanas and wander around plague ridden individuals stealing shit.

                  This oil is also excellent way to rid the world of mold!


                  im using it in my truck as we type!
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.
                    Unsu...
                     

                    Re: Mold & Mildew in car

                    Wed, June 18, 2008 - 6:52 AM
                    If I understand it right you need a different "oil" for any given different mold.
                    And then you gotta put up with the stench of the rarefied product (I one of those people who hate fragrances)
                    Some of them are toxic and most have never been well researched.

                    A very great many toxins are available in minute quantities in things that are common food stuffs but they never harm us because we can't possibly consume enough over an adequate period, so the poison is excreted harmlessly.

Recent topics in "DIY - do it yourself"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Granite counter tops Unsubscribed 10 June 28, 2014
tent zipper repair Åmªzºn¡Kª 22 June 26, 2014
Filling a mail slot Unsubscribed 31 May 18, 2014
sink clogs - why they happen, what are home remedies that work Scintilla Di... 43 May 6, 2014