Advertisement

surveying property lines

topic posted Sat, March 19, 2005 - 11:21 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Who would I contact to have my property lines survey and laid out? I know my lot is small but I'd like to do some landscaping and I know one neighbor has a history of disputing the line.

Should I contact the city offices? a private contractor?

Also, has anyone else done this recently and if so, what did it cost you. If you don't mind my asking :o)
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: surveying property lines

Sun, March 20, 2005 - 1:52 AM
    You contact a private, licensed surveyor. Has to be licensed or it's no good, this can be very tricky if the deeds are old.

On large properties, can save a bit doing it in the fall when the leaves are down. Now is a great time too.

It can be pretty expensive, but it really varies a lot depending on where you are and how big and how complex your site is and how many sides you need laid out.

You ale very wise to do this before building a fence on a disputed property line. Surveying first is the only way to go in such cases.
  • Unsu...

Sun, March 20, 2005 - 9:35 AM
    Thanks!

I would need 3 sides surveyed. There is a street at the front of my property (this is in the city) and actually the last owner has a fence on two sides. But idefinitely want thse reevaluated too.

Guess I'll make some calls on Monday.
    • Re: surveying property lines

Sun, March 20, 2005 - 5:44 PM
      Yeah... our fences were built in the wrong place. It had been a rental for 40 years, and the surrounding homeowners took advantage during that time.

Fences on the property line are a tricky issue, here. Both parties are responsible for the fence, and have a say in whether it can come down or not.

Sun, March 20, 2005 - 6:34 PM
        I dealt with this issue once. I had a property that had a fence that was falling apart. I decided to tear the fence down. The neighbor gave me all kinds of grief on where I was going to build the new fence. So I had a survey company come out and lay down my property lines. I then built the new fence on my side of the property line and the issue was resovled...The Reverend
        • Unsu...

Sun, March 20, 2005 - 9:02 PM
          That's pretty much the scenerio I'm looking for. No hassle if it's on MY side.
          • Unsu...

no hassles...

Mon, March 21, 2005 - 3:01 AM
            after survey if you put up fence a couple of inches on your side as well as leave the pins
            • Unsu...

Re: no hassles...

Tue, March 22, 2005 - 11:40 AM
              Yes, get a surveyor. I have 6 acres and trusted the 'professional' fence guy to know (locate) my lines. I get to move the fence now!! LOL! I could write a book on 'How Not to Remodel Your Home'!
              • Re: no hassles...

Mon, February 6, 2006 - 10:01 AM
                what are "pins" when you say 'leave the pins'...

i am looking into fencing this spring/summer and will have to have the property professionally surveyed beforehand as well.

-ska

Mon, February 6, 2006 - 10:14 AM
                  I think he means whatever the surveyor puts in to mark the property lines (pins, stakes, flags, etc.). Put your fence on your side of those markers and leave the markers for future reference.
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Mon, February 6, 2006 - 10:46 AM
                    a pin usually refers to an iron rod 1/2 or 5/8 in size +- 18 inches in length driven into the ground where the surveyor locates your corner it does not matter how many sides you think you need a good survey requires you to locate as many as possible hopefully you find them all,also your survey should show all adjacent things fences,other corners etc. to show thier relationship to your property always use a licensed surveyor,here in Texas price for a title survey,usually 2 man crew was 175.00 per hour,depending on lot size and what you have to tie down 4 hrs-maybe 8
                    • Unsu...

Wed, February 15, 2006 - 9:41 PM
                      lots of luck I had real piece of work for a nieghbor got into a fist fight with the surveyor b/c he disagreed with where he was putting pins. He actually went so far as to pull the pins out of the ground . You have to pull a permit in most places to put up a fence. you'll need to call one call b/f you dig and when you go pull the permit they will tell you how far off the line you have to be with your fence.

The cost of surveyors varies greatly I got ours for $425 our lot was 40X195 but I got quotes up to $1300 . The biggest pain in the ass is going to the court house to pull the papers for the surveyor. Best to shop for a price and they can negotiate depending on if they are slow or not. Good luck

Good fences make good neighbors Amen!

Thu, February 16, 2006 - 11:09 AM
                        thanks donna, and everyone else.

i am hoping to avoid a situation with my 'neighbors' as they have only lived next to me for a year... but in that time, they have become quite the irritating encroachers... no worries, i won't go into the details--but suffice to say, it is too much to put up with from people who do not contribute to my property taxes nor my house payment... yet ,since i live in the frozen north, i cannot erect a fence until april at the earliest...

i have begun my search for a licensed surveyor. we have every intention of going about this by 'the book' with all the proper permits etc before putting the posts in... thanks for all the help.

-ska

Fri, February 17, 2006 - 1:11 PM
                          oh, but you know we are all dying to hear the details :o)

it seems to be that property lines are a universal neighbor battle, with everyone trying to get an extra inch or foot. Surveyors are pretty expensive, in general.

good luck to you ;)
  • Unsu...

Sun, February 19, 2006 - 3:01 PM
    Here in Texas, when you purchase a property, you usually get a survey done. Lenders often require a survey. I think this may be true in many other states, too. Have you checked your closing documents to see if there is a survey in them?

At some point, someone must have done a survey. Some one has to have done a survey in order for the deed to contain an accurate legal description of the property.

You could just look at your deed, which the legal description of your property. It is essentially a survey put into words.

If you can't find yours, you could ask your neighbors if they have surveys of their property that you could look at. Tell them you plan to build a fence and would like to see their survey so as to respect their property boundries.

Sun, February 19, 2006 - 7:25 PM
      i do have the exact dimensions of my property, but a current survey will be required in this situation to avoid any issues with my neighbors.

i am definitely willing to pay to have the licensed surveyor survey the property and set the pins so i can do this fence thing with as little input from my neighbors as possible. and my attorney concurs.

in my county, everyone's property dimensions, market value, taxes, solid waste disposal fees, and the like can be found online by typing them into the county data base.

previous surveys have been done, certainly, but, as this is property in a city among similar bungalow-style kit-home type housing built in the 1920s...and all the property have the same dimensions on every block in this area...i am going with a current survey.

thanks for the in put.

-ska

Wed, March 1, 2006 - 9:17 AM
        thanks much for all the in-put and helpful insights...

i have hired a licensed surveyor to assess, expose and set new irons to make very clear where this fence will go. he came with recommendations from other surveyors who had movedon to corporate work or some other civil engineering work and his rate is far better than many others i had found. and he sets side irons as well as corners--bonus. i require no drawing, but he offers a reasonable rate for my area as far as my research has found.
        flat rate survey, corners and side irons= $300.00
        w/drawing= $375.00

hiring the surveyor was necessary for us as our irons or pins are not exposed so, though we know the property's exact dimensions, we have no landmarks from which to measure out the footage properly. and necessary also because of the potential neighbor hassle which we wanted very much to avoid if at all possible.

-ska
        • Unsu...

Wed, March 1, 2006 - 11:59 AM
          Yeah, that can happen when the only reference points used in the original surveyor were iron stakes. Once they rust away....

Also, remember that neighbors can object to more than just a fence that intrudes onto their property. They can also object if the fence violates any local ordinances or any deed restrictions, so check those, too.

Most municipalities limit the height of residentail fences to six feet.

Wed, March 1, 2006 - 5:34 PM
            done and done.

we had a local reputable fence company come out a couple of summers ago (long before the new neighbors came along) to price it out and were told of the local ordinances and height restrictions for our area.

feeling good about the preparation and the coming spring...
            • 'neighbors' can really suck

Fri, March 17, 2006 - 10:02 AM
              well, shit, that did not go as well as i had hoped---

the surveyor came out and used all of his fancy equipment after a huge wet snow earlier this week and now we have four corners and two centered side irons set and all but one of the accompanying stakes in the ground marking the property...which is what i am doing back here reporting.

the survey went well and was very reasonably priced despite the sloppy snow--i think in all it took three hours total if not less, but then we have a rectangular middle of the block lot in the city so it is pretty easy. he exposed the original nw corner iron and set about measuring and calcualting and finally set all the irons & stakes and went on his merry way....

then my neighbor after a couple of days and more snow decided that the stake marking the property line we share with her had to go so she pulled it out and threw it over our existing fence and onto our snow pile there...i think she attempted to extract the iron as well but she was no match for it and it remains dug into its little earthen home on our property line...

i saw the stake out of my window and went out to put it back into the ground and as i approached the spot my neighbor came rushing toward me telling me i cannot put the stake back in the ground because she believes this is her property....bleh...and i told her we had had a professional state registered licensed surveyor come out to mark the property because we were putting a fence up along around the back portion of our property ... to which she began telling me we can't because she is hoping to do the same and yadayada ... i said well, whatever the case you cannot take these stakes or irons out as it is illegal to do so...to which she replies that they are on her property and so she took it out as she believes that may be i had just eyeballed the site and dug some shit into her property because i like having a heated disagreement with my neighbor late at night in the cold...

long story short...i had to call the po-po to talk to her about not removing property markers that i had just had done because she is freaking out that i am attempting to steal her property...

that all took about three hours...i have to say though that i am glad i had the survey done and now the fence is beyond necessary. dang.

that was my thursday evening/night

ps... the best part was when she told me i had a survey done because i hate children and that i am heartless and need a bible----no shit----she really said that as part of her 'rational' 'discussion' about why she pulled out the stake marking the lot marker...

hope you are having a better day than she is...i am sure she is ruminating somewhere trying to figure out how to get a surveyor to move the property line that has been set....

-ska
              • Unsu...

Re: 'neighbors' can really suck

Fri, March 17, 2006 - 10:08 AM
                I am sooo glad you had a survey done. Just read through this thread. My folks had a nightmare with a new neighbor and their property line. And that line had been there for 100 years!
              • Unsu...

Thu, March 23, 2006 - 3:52 PM
                the bitch invoked the "bible" eh?

Say no more. You neede a fence because she is Satan's spawn as are all bible thumpers.
                • Re: 'neighbors' can really suck

Thu, March 23, 2006 - 6:04 PM
                  yeah...it has been weird to say the least.

i set a meditating garden buddha in a spot facing her house in silent reply to her 'bible' comment...

taking the high road and feeling good about that...but then the fence nears so i am happy.

-ska
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Mon, March 27, 2006 - 1:31 PM
                    I love the "meditating buddha" idea! ;D

We live on a corner lot, and I have to keep asking (why ask? I should demand!) that people stop walking across my yard! I don't care if it's not some high-maintenance, picture-perfect, manicured lawn. People should NOT walk across someone else's yard!!!! And, I'm just about tired of telling people to not let their dogs use my yard as a toilet! }:O

So, I'm also going to take the advice here and hire a surveyor. Then, we're putting up a block wall. As far and as high as the zoning laws will allow.

Then, I'm going to put a meditating buddha staring out at everyone! :P

namaste,
                    alex

Tue, February 28, 2006 - 10:10 PM
    OK.
    I went to the county and looked.
    They provided aiial phots iwth lot lines.
    In my neighborhood, all the lot lines need to be moed to the west.
    Surveyors tell me that there should be posts at the lot lines.
    Well, my house was built in 1941.
    Wonder how to get te county to reconsider their cuurent lot lines.

I don't know.

Thanks.
    Dave
    • Unsu...

Wed, March 1, 2006 - 12:29 AM
      If you have a previous survey, the only reason to have a new one done is to account for any changes that have occurred, such as new buildings, new driveways, new fences, etc. But a new survey should not result in your lot lines moving. The lot lines should always remain the same, because each survey should use the same reference points and same measurements. Modern surveying is very accurate, and even relatively old surveys were pretty good in urban areas. It is the very old surveys of rural land that get dicey.

If there is a discrepancy in your lot lines from one survey to another, then someone made a mistake. People can move fences or driveways or buildings but the lot line doesn't move. A lot line does not move the same way a line of longitude or latittude does not move.

Now, if you need to change your lot lines for some reason, you can petition the local government to allow you to "replat" the property. This is done, for example, when you subdivide a lot, or merge two subdivied lots back together.

Recent topics in "DIY - do it yourself"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Hot Water Heater Azeeza 1 December 22, 2014
Cutting Tempered Glass Richard 60 October 18, 2014
Home Cleaning and Organization naria 1 October 17, 2014
old hardwood flooring yadda yadda 6 September 25, 2014