Advertisement

How to seal a rat hole

topic posted Mon, May 28, 2007 - 1:24 PM by  Kit Kat
Share/Save/Bookmark
I have a large plastic Rubbermaid garden shed outside. I stored some bird seeds in there for the winter in a plastic bin. Somehow over the winter, a rat made it’s way into my shed and through the bin of seeds by chewing through the plastics. I cleaned out the shed, droppings and all and threw out the remaining bin of bird seeds. Now I’m left with a garden shed with a hole in it. What should I do? Should I seal the hole, but with what? Or would it be pointless to seal it because it appears that rats can get into anything, if they put their mind to it?? Thanks.
posted by:
Kit Kat
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Get some HAVOC from any farm supply. Open the packets and smear some peanut butter inside on the little green pellets.
    Leave about half a dozen of the paks around the feed you want to protect.

You will decimate the rat population around your shed.
  • Rob
    Rob
    offline 0
    Bait the shed with rat poision. I used to own a hauling and demo company here in Florida and everytime we tore down a shed we would find 10-20 rats some up to 2' long from head to tail. If you put the poison in the shed one or more will eat it and carry it into the den of other rats once the one is dead the others will eat him causing them to die! The nice thing is they become instant fertilizer.
  • we had a giant rat a for valentines day a year ago.
    it started with a few weeks of traps thinking that it was a mouse
    then bigger traps after we saw it run across the wall.
    after all was said and done (ick!)
    the crime scene was throughly documented
    pictures were mailed to the slumlord
    and the rat catchers arrived...
    basicly after a long talk with the rat catcher
    it turns out that rats rarely go inside looking for food (allthough it sounds like yours was)
    they're currious and follow other rats' smell trails to see what all the other rats are upto
    basicly poison is a last resort and they only use gas... the entire house
    and poison only takes out the rats that stick around. but then they come back
    so the trapper said that you just have to catch and dispose with really powerfull rat traps
    then (like a lotta people have said here already) seal up holes and cracks with steal wool and cement... lots.
    then clean the areas they were crawling around with bleach or other strong cleaner
  • I've just been sealing up a bunch of rat holes around my house with steel wool, and expanding spray foam. They chew and tear at the foam but don't eat it and it has taken them 2-3 years to actually make a hole big enough to get through again. They do not seem to go through or bite at the steel wool at all. I really cram a bunch of it in areas I see their paths and holes. Holes I found a foot or so away from my foundation, that looked like gopher holes to me previously, I now believe to be rat trails that lead under the foundation - bastards! They have built a rat super highway.

After finding several nests and also what look like rat pantry/storehouses (full of of nuts/rotten fruits/food, shiny things and rat shit) under the floors of my house above the now sagging underfloor insulation, I set a bunch of Victor rat traps - the spring trap kind - that I baited with crunchy peanut butter (yeah yeah enjoy your last meal of frikken organic peanut butter grrrr). I have caught rats every evening just at sunset, and continue to bait traps and replace them daily. Someone told me rats could smell their dead brethren on used traps, others said pour boiling water on them - but the grossness of steaming dead rat funk convinced me to just toss the whole trap, dead rat and all. New traps work best for me solely because they are not nasty to handle!

I have had pet rats, and worked in restaurants that used those awful glue traps, and I have to agree - most humane/quickest death possible is the way to go. "Friendly" relocation pisses me off because I live in an area near parks where people notoriously drop off their trapped rodents and raccoons - merely to gift their infestation to my neighborhood. Thanks so much friend!
    • Unsu...

Rodents hate steel wool.
      • Depends on the Rodent...
        NYC / Miami they look at steel wool and laugh and keep on going..

Chris
        • steel woolblended with pelleted rat poison. stuff down tight. fill with a can of "great stuff" in that order

or try "fresh cab" aeromatic insect repellent. smells like a christmas tree.
          • The question was about a plastic shed that had beed chewed into. Know rats really like to chew up various polyethylene formulations, be it for the pthylene, or release agent or something else. So if you plug one hole, it easily can and will get in through making another if it wishes from its own perverse reasoning.

TO patch the existing breach, poprivet a piece of tin cut from a can over the hole into predrilled holes through tin and plastic material. Or use similar plastic material as the shed cut from a plastic jerrycan and poprivet that in place. Also a sort of primitive plastic welding of the patch in place can be accomplished using a soldering iron and "rod" made of scrap plastic. Or else hot glue the patch piece in place. Lots of repair options.

Discouraging future vermin damage can be accomplished with the usual trapp & poison methods.
            • Re: So if you plug one hole, it easily can and will get in through making another if it wishes from its own perverse reasoning.

This is why you lace the foam w/ steel wool & poison. The steel wool feels terrible on their bitty teeth and I'm sure we all know what poison does.

the conclusion is that plugging or blocking the hole will stop THAT hole, but the rats will still prevail. One must either make a location inhospitable alltogether in one way or another or to make the pest an EX-pest. which leads me to a favorite quote..."if you hadn't nailed it to the perch it'ld be pushing up the daisie!!!"
              • yo dude---- they're not going to re-attack a hardened position when it's so easy just to get into the virgin territory next to it.

BTW, crumpled wadded steel window screen material also works good stuffed into an existing rat-made breach to deter them if steel wool is unavailable at the moment. PinkPanther glass wool insulation also will godown hard into their slimy gullet. the options are mind boggling..

The assumption is that the poison bait plus traps will eliminate the threat to the rubermaid shed's integrity simply by killing off the rats.
        • >>NYC / Miami they look at steel wool and laugh and keep on going..

Yep, but in NYC you can get it a leash and call it a dog.
          • Yesterday, at the street market in Chinatown, Kuala Lumpur, I observed a yellow, white black pinto cat & a big black rat playing at "cat & mouse"; the cat was pretending to try and catch the rat, and the rat was pretending to be intimidated by the cat. They'd run in circles like a pair of kids playing. I was coaching the cat to leap and snag that black rat, but it didn't do any good.
            Cultural differences I guess (Buddhist cat?). I know my cats would have gone for the mea pronto.

Recent topics in "DIY - do it yourself"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Cutting Tempered Glass Richard 60 October 18, 2014
Home Cleaning and Organization naria 1 October 17, 2014
old hardwood flooring yadda yadda 6 September 25, 2014
stop draft from fire place Kit Kat 22 September 22, 2014